Saturday, November 20, 2010

More Left Over Pumpkin Ideas & A Quick Dinner Idea!




Hello my foodie friends! How has your Saturday been? I hope fantastic and productive. I have gotten a lot done today and for that I am grateful! I can't believe how packed the stores were today. I guess everyone decided to shop early for Thanksgiving day rather than waiting until the day before.

I saw a recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits here. I have been thinking about this recipe every since. So this evening I made a quick batch only I tweaked the recipe a bit to use up the left over opened pumpkin. I made some changes and they turned out good. I love that these are like a biscuit. I think these would be delicious with sweet potato so I am gonna hang on to this recipe and try it again with the sweet potato rather than the pumpkin. I had a little bit of pumpkin butter on mine and so did the kids and it was really tasty! You could even put jelly on these for a nice little morning treat! These were mixed up and baked in about 20 minutes and I came out with about 12 biscuits.

So here is the low down:
1/2 cup almond milk * I used the unsweetened vanilla at only 40 calories a cup. You could use regular milk here too
1 cup pumpkin
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour * I used whole wheat pastry flour
3 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 packets of stevia * these biscuits are not too sweet so if you prefer sweeter biscuits you may want to add 1-2 more packets
1 tablespoon of butter

Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl add flour, salt, baking powder (make sure this is aluminum free baking powder- I feel this is a healthier option) stevia and mix well. Add the butter in small little bits to the flour mixture and crumble together with your fingers working the butter into the flour mixture. Next add the pumpkin and milk and stir together. I covered the counter with saran wrap and poured the flour mixture onto the counter. Roll the mixture out and cut your biscuits out with a biscuit cutter (or a glass will work beautiful too). The thicker the easier it is to work with. If you need to, cut your first round of biscuits out and pull all the bits back together again and re-press it down and cut again. This will allow you to get more out of your mixture. Bake for 10 - 11 minutes (mine took 11 minutes) until the biscuits are golden and ready! These would be great with butter, honey, jam, apple butter or pumpkin butter as I prefer! Quick and tasty!

I also wanted to share with you what I made for dinner. I rarely have a night where I can just cook something up for myself, but tonight I had that chance. My husband was having dinner with the fellas (they are watching UFC tonight) the kids had already eaten earlier. By the time I got home from shopping I was really hungry. I popped a regular Naan (from Trader Joe's found in the freezer section right by the garlic Naan)out of the freezer and began to build. Next spread on some enchilada sauce and top with refried black beans (or regular refried beans - but I love the refried spicy black beans)tomatoes and red bell pepper and a light coating of shredded cheese. The great thing is that a little shredded cheese goes such a long way! Bake at 400 for about 8-10 minutes. Top with low fat sour cream and a few dashes of hot sauce! This rings Taco Bells bell! It reminds me of their Mexican Pizza only healthier and far better for you!





No comments:

Post a Comment