Sunday, September 5, 2010

Is Anything Better Than Homemade Pizza....Ugh, I Don't Think So!









I love pizza! I really really do! It is the one thing I haven't wanted to give up. So I just make my own. My quick naan pizza (from a previous post) is very, very good! But there are times I just really want some good ole crusty, cheesy pizza. This is a healthy recipe made with all whole wheat flour. I love that I can control the ingredients and I know exactly what goes in the crust. Toppings are organic peporoni and cheese for the family and for me goat cheese and tomato. The possibilities are endless. Give this pizza crust recipe a try, you will not be dissapointed....Yummy!

The original recipe can be found here: http://howsweeteats.com/


HowSweetEats recipe for Parmesan Pizza Crust

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

3/4 – 1 cup lukewarm water

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, yeast and parmesan cheese. Mix with a spoon and create a well in the middle. Add in 3/4 cups water, honey and olive oil. Stir with a spoon until dough comes together. Continue to form into a ball with your hands. If more water is needed, add it by the tablespoon. (I ended up using 3/4 cups and 1 tablespoons of water, but go slow and gauge how much you need as you go, just start with the 3/4 cup)

Knead dough for 1-2 minutes before placing it in a lightly oiled bowl - I just sprayed a bowl with my olive oil spray - and cover. Let rise for 1 1/2-2 hours. I let mine sit for 1 1/2 hours and it was great. Make sure to lightly flour your work area before placing the dough down. This will keep the dough from sticking. I also flour my rolling pin. Roll the dough out and top with pizza sauce and whatever you like. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 475 degrees. Mine was perfect at 8 minutes so keep an eye on it. Time will vary based on ovens and what you bake your pizza on. I baked mine on a pizza stone and I sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom which keeps the dough from sticking. So easy to get the pizza off this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment