Thursday, September 9, 2010

You Don't Have A Thing If You Aint Got That Zing!



I love eating soup! I find soup to be a filling and satisfying meal. I love to experiment with different flavors. I had a pretty bad (or good)addiction to Chili's Chicken and Green Chili Soup in the earlier part of this year. So when I woke up yesterday to find I needed my sweater I took it as my cue to make soup! This is my version of chili's soup, or rather it is what I had intended when starting but ended up with something different. I have to point out that this soup doesn't have any cheese or cream in it which keeps the calories down, but the taste doesn't suffer at all. I made some modifications based on what I had in my pantry. This is a good and satisfying soup! Love this for lunch on a cool afternoon. Tip: You can top with low fat sour cream or use hot sauce if you want a little extra zing!

Ingredients:
1 box (4 cups/32 Oz)of Organic chicken broth
about 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 tomato, diced
1 sprinkle/dash of cumin
1 small diced onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 small can of diced green chili
1 lemon or lime
1/2 cup of cooked rice (I used Jasmine)
chile powder - amount depends on taste preference
1/2 of avocado to top each bowl of soup
Salt and Pepper to taste

Prepare the rice ahead of time so that it is ready when your soup is done. You can cook the chicken however you like. I like to boil mine or put it in the crock pot. Make sure to shred the chicken. Put about 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic. Usually takes about 3-5 minutes. Add the diced tomato and saute about another minute. Sprinkle the cumin and salt and pepper and add the can of diced green chilis and chicken. Stir and let cook on medium heat for a few minutes to let the flavors come together. Add chicken broth and chili powder and stir and add rice. I used a whole lemon and I squeezed the juice into the soup, but you can use 1/2 or lime would be good too. Allow to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or so. When you are ready to serve spoon soup in a bowl and top with 1/2 avacado. I topped mine with a teaspoon or so of sour cream which gives this a great flavor! Salt and pepper as you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment